|MESPA Home > Press Room|
|Minnesota Schools Receive Magnet School of Merit Awards|
2/16/2010 10:05 AMSeveral Minnesota schools have been named as 2010 Magnet Schools of Merit by Magnet
Schools of America. Magnet Schools of America has established the Magnet Schools of Merit
Award to recognize the top magnet schools in the United States. The
Magnet Schools of Merit Award recognizes magnet schools that show a
commitment to high academic standards, curriculum innovation,
successful desegregation/diversity efforts, specialized teaching
staffs, and parent and community involvement.
Two categories of awards
have been established by MSA: The top category given to a group of
select magnet schools is the Magnet School of Excellence Award and the second category of awards is the Magnet School of Distinction Award.
Schools recognized must be members of Magnet Schools of America and
must submit an application that is scored by a panel of
educators. Cash awards are provided to the top Magnet Schools of
School representatives will be honored at the 28th
Magnet School of America Conference hosted by the Hillsborough County Public
Schools in Tampa, Florida. School representatives will receive a plaque during
an awards ceremony for their selection as a national Magnet School of Merit winner.
Sandra Day, President of Magnet Schools of America and Dr.
Robert G. Brooks, Executive Director, will present the awards during the national conference, which runs from May 2 – 5 at
the Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina in Tampa, Florida. The awards
presentation is scheduled for Tuesday, May 4 at the Opening Session. Attendees
will include more that 1000 school administrators and teachers from magnet
schools and districts across the nation.
MESPA members honored as 2010 Minnesota Magnet Schools of Excellence are:
- Birch Grove Elementary School for the Arts, Osseo Area Schools, ISD 279, Princpal Jeff Zastrow
- Garlough Environmental Magnet School, W. St. Paul, ISD 197, Principal Susan Powell
MESPA members honored as 2010 Minnesota Magnet Schools of Distinction are:
- Cedar Park STEM Elementary School, Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan Public Schools, ISD 196, Principal John Garcia
- Glacier Hills Elementary School of Arts and Science, Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan Public Schools, ISD 196, Principal Jeff Holten
- Lincoln Elementary School for the Arts, Anoka-Hennepin Schools, ISD 11, Principal Sheryl D. Ray
- Weaver Lake Elementary STEM School, Osseo Area Schools, ISD 279, Principal Gretchen Peel
Magnet Schools of America
For more information on Magnet Schools of America, visit their Web site